|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||35 minutes|
people as a starter
For the soufflés:
- 100 g unsalted butter plus a little extra for greasing the soufflé moulds
- 100 g plain flour
- 600 ml milk
- 4 Whole Rich Yolk Eggs separated
- 1 Rich Yolk Egg separated
- 150 g Stilton crumbles
- 1 tap finely chopped thyme
- 1 tsp finely grated horseradish
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- For the glaze
- 100 ml double cream
- 1 tbsp Fino Sherry
- 1 yolk from the separated egg
- pinch of salt
For the soufflés:
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Butter 6 to 8 ramekins or dariole moulds
- Melt the remaining butter in a sauce pan. Add the flour and cook for a minute or so.
- Add the milk, gradually whisking in until smooth. Cook for 3 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Stir in the 4 egg yolks from the separated eggs. Add the Stilton, thyme and horseradish. Mix well then set aside.
- Whisk the 4 egg whites until stiff peaks. Fold into the soufflé base in 3 batches to keep the volume of the egg whites as much as possible. Check seasoning, adding salt and pepper if required.
- Spoon the mix into the prepared soufflé moulds. Place the soufflés into a deep oven proof dish, then pour in enough boiling water to come half way up the sides of the soufflé moulds.
- Place the soufflés in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. The soufflés can now be stored in the fridge for upto 3 days before being baked again.
- To make the glaze, mix the cream, yolk and sherry together.
- Set the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Unmould the soufflés onto a baking tray and spoon the glaze over the top.
- Place the soufflés in the oven and cook for 10 minutes or until puffed up again and golden
- For the salad, simply dress the plates with the salad leaves as desired. Scatter over the slices of picked walnuts, apple sticks and sour cherries.
- Season well with salt and pepper and drizzle with good olive oil
- When the soufflés are ready, pop them on the plates and serve
Share this Recipe