- Set the oven to 160 degrees Celsius
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil over low heat
- Cream the egg yolks and coconut sugar together
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg white to stiff peaks
- Add the melted chocolate, orange juice and zest, ground almonds to the yolks and mix well
- Fold in half of the whipped whites until incorporated.
- Fold in the remaining egg whites and carefully mix until smooth
- Tip into the pre-prepared cake tin and bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. If using 2 tine cooking time will be more like 30 minutes depending on your oven.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the tin
For the icing/decoration
- Once the cake is cool, remove from the tin, take off the paper and make the icing
- Melt the chocolate, almond milk and coconut oil together over low heat
- Stir in the coconut sugar if using
- Whisk together
- If the mix is very soft, transfer to a plastic tub and cool in the fridge for a few minutes until it has firmed up a little and is more manageable
- Split the cake in half and spread the bottom half with some of the icing.
- Scatter over a few berries
- Place the top half of the cake over the filled base
- Spread the remaining icing on top of the cake
- Garnish with berries of choice, cacao nibs and edible flowers. I used Raspberries, Blueberries and Primroses. I also added a few candied Almonds.
Share this Recipe