Boost the Roost
Boost the Roost free range eggs are the UK’s only ultra-nutritious egg. Containing high levels of selenium and DHA Omega-3 which are naturally fed to the hens, who in turn absorb and deposit these important minerals and nutrients into the eggs.
Selenium is a trace mineral that naturally occurs in volcanic soil. Due to major selenium soil deficiency in Europe, our daily selenium intake is low. Selenium is a natural antioxidant defence that can help prevent cellular damage from free radicals.
The hens obtain higher levels of DHA Omega-3 from their diet, which is supplemented with a natural, algal-based form of DHA. Other Omega-3 supplements are often based on fish oils or plant based oils such as linseed; both of which can taint the flavour. The algal-based DHA also offers a very sustainable farming method.
DHA Omega-3 benefits:
- Contributes to brain health & function, maternal health and cognitive function in the elderly. Helping to slow the early onset of Alzheimer’s disease.
- DHA helps brain, eye and nerve development, visual health and function and eye health
- DHA and EPA fatty acids contrinute to the cardiovascular system: maintenance and promotion of heart health and healthy circulation
- DHA and EPA fatty acids play a very important part in carbohydrate metabolism and insulin sensitivity. Long term maintenance of normal blood glucose concentrations
- Boost your immune system
- Helps regulate your thyroid hormone production
- Contributes to antioxidant activity (cell wall protection)
- Plays an important role in fertility (spermatogenesis)
- Strengthens hair follicles, nails and boosts the collagen in your skin
Whilst research is still taking place, we first looked at adding selenium to the hen’s diet after reading a study from Liverpool University linking selenium with the protection of the cells around the pancreas. Due to a family history of pancreatitis in the family, this is a very important issue for us, which is why 5p from every box sold is donated to PCUK.
Two Boost the Roost eggs contain 60% of your recommended daily intake of selenium, and 40% of DHA & EPA Omega 3.